Schaft won this round of Darpa’s competition by a wide margin
A robot developed by a Japanese start-up recently acquired by Google is the winner of a two-day competition hosted by the Pentagon’s research unit Darpa.
Team Schaft’s machine carried out all eight rescue-themed tasks to outscore its rivals by a wide margin.
Three of the other 15 teams that took part failed to secure any points at the event near Miami, Florida.
Schaft and seven of the other top-scorers can now apply for more Darpa funds to compete in 2014’s finals.
Darpa Robotics Challenge Scoreboard
1. Schaft (27 points)
2. IHMC Robotics (20 points)
3. Tartan Rescue (18 points)
4. MIT (16 points)
5. Robosimian (14 points)
6. Traclabs / Wrecs (11 points)
8. Trooper (9 points)
9. Thor / Vigir / Kaist (8 points).
12. HKU / DRC-Hubo (3 points)
14. Chiron / Nasa-JSC / Mojavaton (0…
View original post 713 more words